Firefighters rescue two from basement after garage fire spreads to home

Article content

Edmonton firefighters rescued a 59-year-old great-grandmother from her basement suite after a blaze spread from the backyard to her home.

Firefighters responded to a call about a garage fire spreading to a home near 72 Street and 81 Avenue around 10:40 a.m. Monday. When crews arrived a few minutes later, the home was fully involved in flames.

Grandmother Terry Carr, who has lived in the basement of the home for the past year and a half, said there’s only one exit out of the suite and she needed help escaping the fast-moving fire.

“It was basically engulfed back there and we couldn’t get out,” she said. “The fire department came and put a ladder down to the front window. I’m extremely overweight and very weak and I was unable to pull myself up the ladder. They told me to lay down and they pulled me out. (Some) very strong firemen boosted me up into the air.”

Carr said she wasn’t scared, calling the experience exciting. The only damage to her suite appeared to be from the water to douse the fire. With everything soaked, she said will need to find someplace else to stay.

Edmonton Fire Service spokeswoman Brittany Lewchuck said two people were rescued from the basement while bystanders helped the other residents in the home. She said there have been no reports of injuries.

“The fire did extend to the neighbouring home,” she said. “(Firefighters) are also dealing with some downed power lines in the back alley. So there’s a lot going on here. There’s heavy smoke so if you’re driving down 81 Avenue you can see it at the intersections.”

Crews were able to bring the blaze under control just after 1 p.m.

[email protected]

Twitter.com/jefflabine

tinyurlis.gdu.nuclck.ruulvis.netshrtco.de

Leave a reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>